Wednesday 9 February 2011

Bonnet release catch

I don't know what it is about Skyline's but the pressed metal parts are so badly made, or at least badly protected. On mine the bonnet release catch was (well currently is) a ugly shade of rust brown. I guess this is down to the non existent grill design at the front, meaning that any road crap automatically covers the bonnet release.

So rather than muck about I got hold of another bonnet release mechanism (which was still cruddy). Firstly giving it a bath to remove most of the muck and then setting to work with the good old wet and dry sand paper.

A fair bit of rubbing later and was a nice shiny lump.. At this point I had to decide if to send to chroming or paint. After a bit of umm'ing and arr'ing I decided that paint would be the way to go. I think that the cmponent would be just too much of a pain to completely strip, requiring drilling out of big rivets etc. Also the idea is not to notice such delights as bonnet catches, not highlight them. Besides, would probably be a swine to keep clean.

A small detail perhaps but now like new.
I used Gloss Black Plasticoat paint rather than conventional car body paint as it goes on quite thick and covers up a multitude of sins. Additionally it looks like it will be very hard wearing, although time will answer that statement.
I did consider getting 'artistic' and giving a light blast of glitter paint, but again this isn't supposed to be the highlight of the engine bay!
Probably would have been better in a satin coat, although the gloss black was all I had to plan (pending work starting on the main inlet). I am pretty happy with how it turned out.

Coming soon... Fitting of bonnet catch!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.